Wednesday, May 31, 2017

FRUSTRATION

Painting.

Miniature painting to be exact. When you start, you get rules and unpainted miniatures, or minis. Playing a game with bare metal or black primed figures is just not as fun as using fully painted, colorful minis.

I have always struggled with painting. I can see the finished product in my mind's eye but can't seem to force the paint where it needs to be. The result of this is that I have a really bad habit of starting projects but seldom finish them. I have lots of black primed figures, and it has been awhile since I have painted anything.

Part of getting into Frostgrave was knowing that I would only need to paint ten minis. That number has grown considerably since receiving the rulebook, which adds wandering monsters and scenario objectives.  A couple weeks ago I started working on some skeletons and I hit my mental wall. Skeletons should be simple. Maybe my paint is old or I just don't have the skills anymore.

All I want is to get some decent looking minis on the table. They have to be decent in my mind though. After fuming about it for a few days, I stumbled on a YouTube video by an amazing painter called Sorastro. The key to the video is a product he used called Army Painter Quick Shade. So, I am about to start painting a new way that I hope will result in a mini with which I will be happy. I should probably build my war band first.


1 comment:

  1. I struggle with this too....obviously. Have to keep reminding myself that the difference between primed and painted poorly is immense from a gameplay immersion perspective. The dudes have character as soon as they have some paint. The difference between painted poorly and painted well is purely aesthetics, but really doesn't add that much to the immersion. (knowing that your "poor" is pretty darn good).

    ReplyDelete